Printer-friendly version

What is the difference between the executive-style MPH for Health Professionals and the regular MPH program?

The MPH for Health Professionals (MPH | HP) is a weekend program designed for working professionals (physicians, nurses, program administrators, and other health professionals) who wish to maintain their jobs while pursuing their MPH degree. Courses in the MPH | HP program are offered one extended weekend per month (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Applicants to the MPH | HP must have a minimum of 3 years of full-time, post-college health related work experience. For the MPH | HP students, the internship requirement is waived in lieu of a Masters' project. The MPH | HP program offered by the Community Health Sciences (CHS) Department and currently offers one area of specialty in Health Promotion and Health Education.

The regular MPH program is for less experienced applicants and/or applicants who do not have a full-time professional position while in school. Courses are offered during the day, Monday - Friday. A 400-hour internship is required during the summer, when classes are not in session. Students may take courses within an area of interest ('cluster') in the Department, across clusters in the Department, and/or in other Departments of the School of Public Health. Both programs take 21 months to complete.

Why does the MPH | HP cost more than the regular program?

The MPH | HP is a self-supporting program, and as such, receives no financial support from the State. This means that all expenses for this program must be supported by the tuition fees received. It is important to note that the tuition for our MPH | HP is lower than similar programs offered by comparable universities. 
Applicants should consider the cost-effectiveness of both programs. For many individuals, giving up their full-time jobs (and full-time salaries) to attend the regular program would be more expensive than maintaining their jobs and paying higher tuition. The course schedule of the regular program only allows approximately 15 hours a week for working.

If the MPH | HP classes are only one weekend per month, how do I communicate with my professors if I need help?

Your professors and teaching associates will be available as needed by phone, fax, and e-mail. We also have chatroom and conference call facilities available so that students can communicate with professors, teaching associates and each other on a regular basis. Your teaching associate will hold "virtual office hours" and/or discussion sections using the chatroom or conference calls in between the weekend class sessions.

How do I get an application?

Applications should be submitted through the UCLA Graduate Divison Online Application system.

Is the GRE required?

The GRE is waived for applicants who have at least three years of full-time work experience AND an upper division GPA of 3.0 and above. Applicants who received their undergraduate degree from outside the US are required to take the GRE. 

For more information or to schedule your GRE exam, call 1-800-GRE-CALL or visit www.GRE.org.

Is financial aid available?

Some forms of financial aid are available to MPH | HP students. Federal subsidized loans, unsubsidized loans, and grants are available, with priority given to those who apply by the April 1st deadline. However, no UCLA fellowship or grant money is available.

If you would like to receive the forms to apply for Federal financial aid, please fill out the online admissions form and check 'Yes' to the question about financial aid.

Keep in mind that you will be required to submit your previous year's tax forms with your financial aid application, so it is recommended that you complete your taxes as soon as possible.